Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Taco Soup


Through the magic of holiday gift cards, I recently added a few cookbooks to my collection including the just-released 4th edition of Nava Atlas' Soup Book, retitled Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.

I didn't have any other Nava Atlas cookbooks to compare it to, but this one got me by the title alone.

Soups and stews are usually meals unto themselves. Add a salad and some bread and you're there.

The book order arrived shortly after I had cooked up a pound of pinto beans intending to turn them into a week's worth of taco salads, but I never got past the first one of those when I looked through the book and found Taco Soup on page 70 (and, as you can see by the link, is also featured in the January 2009 VegNews Magazine).

What luck! After seeing the soup called for 4 cups of pinto beans I knew I would have this one made in a shade.

My only changes were to use regular crushed tomatoes in lieu of salt-free (but not adding any salt to taste), and to dispense with the optional garnishes.

The spiciness thermostat in my mouth is usually set at mild, but I probably went medium on this one to give it a decent amount of heat. Even in New Orleans it can be cool in January.

I'd have to say this one is a keeper. The bulgar gives it a good whole wheat density, but rice or corn could easily be substituted to make it gluten free.

I hope the rest of the recipes in the book are as good.

TACO SOUP RATING - 8

No comments:

Post a Comment